Thursday, March 26, 2009

Stolen My Heart <3

Have you ever met someone and before a word is even spoken, you are connected to them in some way? There is just something about them that makes you smile. There is some connection within and something in their presence that brings life inside you. My newfound friend Francis Odhiambo is one of those people for me. I have mentioned him briefly before; in a field report after the first time I met him but I can’t get over him. He has stolen my whole heart. Not only is he one of the cutest kids I’ve ever seen ((Peter calls him an old man trapped in a little kids body, and his smile lights up a room)) but he has one of the sweetest spirits. At the last fellowship, Bethany and I brought out some rope, and we made jump ropes. Of course, the kids were all excited to play, and they came over to see what it was all about. Francis joined the group a little late, and the rope he was trying to use was quickly over run with a bunch of girls. He soon gave up trying to wait in line, and instead went around the yard collecting straws. He was connecting the straws end to end, until he made a triangular hula-hoop looking thing, which he proceeded to hold above his head like a crown and walk around with it like a steering wheel. He was off in his own little world, having the time of his life. I asked him what he was doing, and he just gave me his sheepish little smile and continued on with his playing. That is Francis for you. At another fellowship, all the kids were singing, and there came a song that had some dancing motions. While every kid was moving in one direction, Francis was going against the current- using the other foot, clapping on the off beat, and swaying in the opposite direction. If I didn’t know better, I would have thought he was doing it on purpose, but Francis was blissfully unaware. He is a rather shy boy and doesn’t sing loudly; he definitely doesn’t like the attention on himself, but I can’t help but watch him and smile. That is Francis for you.
But Francis has been through a lot. Pretty much every evil imaginable that could possibly happen to a child, Francis has experienced. He is a total orphan, left an only child, to abusive guardians. The first time I met him, he was at nursery school, where he is finishing the final form, and the teachers were telling us of how his shoes are two sizes too small, his uniforms are torn and disintegrating, and he always comes to school hungry. Besides these obvious observations, there was something deeper going on in Francis. I then found out from Robert that his previous guardian had been abusing him, and though he is 9 years old, he looks like he’s 5 because of stunted growth and development due to malnourishment and abuse. However thankfully at the beginning of this year, LCW found a different guardian for Francis, and he was immediately moved to live with his uncle, Joseph Odhiambo. Joseph is an artist, and he makes very little. He doesn’t have much financial support to offer Francis- income is inconsistent and his house is rented in the Manyetta slums- but in terms of being his family and caring for Francis as he grows, Joseph is one of the best guardians he could ask for. I was able to visit Joseph the last time we went in the field, and he really has an interest for Francis and has taken responsibility for his well being. Joseph is a huge answer to prayer, and I believe a light at the end of a very dark tunnel.
I could go on and on about Francis. Just ask anyone here in the office, and you would know that if given the chance, I could talk about him all day. However, I know my last post was long, so I will try to give you a break with this one. But I ask that you be in prayer for Francis and his new family; pray fervently and without ceasing. Petition and plea on his behalf; please be his intercessor this week. Sometimes I think Francis has captured my heart for a bigger reason than just knowing him these three months. Please pray for discernment on my part as well. Thanks for the prayers, and until next time…peace!

1 comment:

  1. I can see why this little one has stolen your heart! Aren't kids just so cute? :) Praying!

    ReplyDelete